Khoresht Khalal Baadaam "Slivered Almond Stew"
- 2 Servings
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Pour oil into the cooking pot and fry the onion until translucent. Add black pepper, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Add the meat and stir until they are brown on all sides (browning keeps the meat firm and prevents from melting in the stew).
- Add the tomato paste, mix and fry for 1-2 minutes (frying the tomato paste improves the taste of the stew). Add boiling water, cover with the lid and cook over medium low heat for 45 minutes.
- In a pan lightly toast the almonds over medium low heat, for about 2 minutes. Stir frequently. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and the barberries to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the almonds, barberries, sugar and the saffron to the cooking pot, adjust the seasoning, add more water if needed, and let the mixture cook for 15 minutes or so until the meat is tender.
- In this recipe the aim is for a combination of mild sweet sour taste. Usually for stew recipes black barberries which have more sour taste are used. However, I used red barberries for this recipe.
Khoresht Khalal Baadaam is a regional dish from Kermanshah province in Iran. Khoresht Khalal Baadaam is served with Chelow "White Rice".