Khoresht Gheymeh "Meat & Yellow Split Peas Stew"
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Ingredients: (2 servings)
- Meat “Beef”, 200 grams
- Yellow Split Peas, 100 grams
- Potato, 200 grams
- Onion, 150 grams
- Dried Lime, 1 or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Tomato Paste, 1 tablespoon
- Ground Turmeric, 1/3 teaspoon
- Black Pepper, 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Rose Water, 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Cooking oil
1. Pour 4 tablespoons of oil into the cooking pot and fry the onion until translucent. Add salt, black pepper, turmeric and mix thoroughly.
2. Add the meat and turn the pieces and brown on all sides (browning keeps the meat firm and prevents from melting in the stew).
3. Add the tomato paste and the split peas, mix and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Make few holes in the dried lime and add it to the pot.
5. Add boiling water, place the lid on and cook over medium low heat for about an hour. When the meat is cooked, there should be about 1 cup of water left in the pot. (If you are using lime juice add and mix now). Add rose water and mix. Adjust the seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, pour enough oil in a pan and fry the potatoes.
7. Place the fried potatoes over the meat and split peas in the pot, but do not mix. Place the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes, let the potatoes absorb the flavor of the mixture.
Khoresht Gheymeh usually is served with Chelow, “White Rice”.
Back To Home Page