Khoresht Gheymeh "Meat & Yellow Split Peas Stew"
- 2 Servings
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Soak the split peas in warm water for an hour or so, and drain out the water
- Dice the meat
- Dice the onion
- Slice the potatoes
- 4 cups of boiling water
- Pour 4 tablespoons of oil into the cooking pot and fry the onion until translucent. Add salt, black pepper, turmeric and mix thoroughly.
- Add the meat and turn the pieces and brown on all sides (browning keeps the meat firm and prevents from melting in the stew).
- Add the tomato paste and the split peas, mix and fry for 5 minutes.
- Make few holes in the dried lime and add it to the pot.
- Add boiling water, place the lid on and cook over medium low heat for about an hour. When the meat is cooked, there should be about 1 cup of water left in the pot. (If you are using lime juice add and mix now). Add rose water and mix. Adjust the seasoning and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil in a pan and fry the potatoes.
- Place the fried potatoes over the meat and split peas in the pot, but do not mix. Place the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes, let the potatoes absorb the flavor of the mixture.
Khoresht Gheymeh usually is served with Chelow "White Rice".