Khoresht-e Baademjaan "Eggplant Stew"
- 2 Servings
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Meat "Beef", 200 grams
- Eggplant, 2 small size (200 grams)
- Yellow Split peas, 1/2 cup (100 grams)
- Onion, 1 medium size (150 grams)
- Tomato Paste, 1 tablespoon
- Ground Cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground Turmeric, 1/3 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper, 1/4 teaspoon
- Sour Grape or Lime Juice, 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil
- Chop up the meat into small pieces
- Peel and dice the onion
- Peel the eggplants and sprinkle salt on them (if you are using a large eggplant, slice length-wise to a thickness of 1cm).
- Wash the split peas
- 4 cups of boiling water
- Pour 4 tablespoons of oil into the cooking pot and fry the onion until translucent. Add salt, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Add the meat and turn the pieces and brown on all sides (browning keeps the meat firm and prevents from melting in the stew).
- Add the tomato paste and the split peas, mix and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add boiling water, place the lid on and cook over medium low heat for about an hour. When the meat is cooked, there should be about 1 cup of water left in the pot. Add the lime juice and mix. Adjust the seasoning.
- While the meat is cooking, pour enough oil in a pan and fry the eggplants until they are tender and golden on all sides.
- Place the eggplants over the meat and split peas in the pot, but do not mix. Place the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes, let the eggplants absorb the flavor of the mixture.
You May Like: